Our plans for Phase 2 will bring more jobs and opportunities to the neighbourhood. With sustainability at the heart of our plans, our aim is to improve health and wellbeing, as well as minimise carbon emissions and waste.
We are currently preparing proposals for six new buildings, which will:
- Form a sustainable and inclusive mixed-use community with office and lab space to meet the needs of Cambridge employers, and neighbourhood shops, cafés, restaurants and amenities catering for all budgets.
- Create long term and varied job opportunities in research and development, life science and technology, and many other jobs in retail, hospitality, and office settings.
- Support the community for the long-term to improve employment and skills, health and wellbeing and enhance the local environment.
- Help small local businesses, independent retailers and the city’s creative sector with affordable workspaces and studios as part of our commitment to socially responsible development.
- Be sustainable, clean and green by embracing renewable energy, greywater recycling and promoting sustainable travel. We will also adopt an energy framework that paves the way to net carbon zero in operation.
- Provide a new accessible public square that can be used by everyone in multiple ways, including pop-up events, community activities and temporary and permanent public art.
- Deliver comprehensive cycling facilities to encourage cycling as the primary form of travel, so improving individual wellbeing and quality of life.
- Make a measurable contribution to improving the natural environment, exceeding policy requirements with green / brown roofs, and new biodiverse planting.
- Provide electric vehicle, bicycle, cargo bike and e-scooter hire facilities within a new Mobility Hub. The Mobility Hub will also host an electric car club and provide car parking for the railway station, Novotel, labs, and offices.
- Include managed ‘meanwhile uses’ to make a positive contribution during the construction phase.